This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Please read our Cookie Policy for more information.

We are open for business as normal but, in light of the latest Government guidance, we are trying to avoid unnecessary contact with clients and visitors. Please consider emailing or phoning instead of visiting our offices.

A Power of Attorney is a legal document that allows someone to make decisions for you, or act on your behalf, if you are no longer able to or if you no longer want to make your own decision. Attorneys must act in your best interests.

There are a number of reasons why you might need someone to make decisions for you or act on your behalf:

  • This could just be a temporary situation; for example, if you are in hospital and need help with everyday tasks such as paying bills
  • You may need to make longer term plans if, for example, you may have been diagnosed with Dementia and you are likely to lose capacity to make your own decisions in the future
  • You are disabled or vulnerable

There are various types of Powers of Attorney:

Ordinary Powers of Attorney (Section 10)

This covers decisions about your financial affairs and is valid while you have mental capacity. It is suitable if you need cover for a temporary period (hospital stay or holiday) or if you find it hard to get out, or you want someone to act for you.

Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA)

These can be prepared and registered on your behalf and tailored to your individual circumstances by our experienced and helpful lawyers. We an also assist the Attorneys with their duties.

These cover decisions about your financial affairs and/or your health and care. They can come into effect either if you lose mental capacity or if you no longer want to make decisions for yourself. You could set up an LPA if you want to make sure you are covered in the future.

Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPA)

EPAs were replaced by LPAs in October 2007. However, if you made and signed an EPA before 1 October 2007, it should still be valid. An EPA covers decisions about your property and financial affairs and can be used if you have mental capacity but want someone to act on your behalf. Should you lose mental capacity, however, the EPA must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian and our experienced lawyers are able to assist with this process.

POA Square

Client Feedback >

I don't usually tick all the top ratings, but you have handled this matter in a most considerate and sensitive way, and I appreciate that very much... Mrs H - Beaminster